2. Although I still plan to tune in to "Glee" afterwards, as the previews continue to seduce me with new things like Jessalyn Gilsig every time I turn around. Which prompts me to go online and learn even more seductive things, such as that it's set in Ohio, and the hot/dedicated glee-club leader otherwise teaches Spanish (foreign language for the win; is third best subject after English or music).
3. Oh Self. Are you...are you ready to talk about something you watched this week?
House, 5.24, "Both Sides Now"
I have one word for this episode: "Facepalm."
*facepalm* *facepalm* *facepalm* I FEEL SO EMBARRASSED. Even with aaaaaall my reservations and precautions and self-warnings, it still never occurred to me that the whole thing with Cuddy - and all of its improbabilities - might have been part of a giant hallucination. I mean, a few people floated this theory. The show has employed the fake-out card rather a lot in the past. Did I make connections? No. They got me, they got me good, and I let them. Why yes, my cheeks are a flaming shade of red at the moment.
You still can't take away my joy over all of House's secretive, pleased smiles to himself, though. That was genuine happiness locked deep in his brain at the idea, and I'm quite content with it. Nor you can remove the fact that I got to watch all those scenes I which I took screenshots, and [in an opinion I will later redact for Bones, but you didn't hear this from me] Medium has well-versed me in the joys of seeing scenarios played out on screen, even when they aren't real.
And it was one of the funniest episodes ever, despite all the angst and hurt and heartbreak - there are about a hundred things I want to quote, except I am too lazy to look them up. House/Wilson banter forever and ever!
But the ending was really, really heartbreaking. Not as bad as last year, but just in a profoundly sad way. Is it bad if I kind of wanted this to be a series finale? I mean, most of their season finales would work as series finales in a pinch (but always with plenty of launching space - in fact, I hereby nominate House as All Time King of the Finales), but this would be an especially bittersweet closing stamp of contrasts.
Chase & Cameron get their magical fairy tale wedding and a promise to embark on happiness (happiness that could be permanent if there weren't more episodes to write!), and House - who at this point seems incapable of ever finding happiness with another person, or at least not romantically - is as always alone, but now more profoundly so than ever before. And I kind of wish there was a possibility that he'd never get out of here, that the treatments wouldn't work, that his mental condition would deteriorate until he lost himself and this was how the story of the great doctor ended.
Someone should probably write this fic.
As for Chase/Cameron...once I get past the inherently unpleasant idea of the characters playing out what the actors never got to, and convince myself their wedding was in fact real*, then AW.
(* seriously, I'm suspicious. That resolution seemed almost as easy as the 1-night detox. DOES THAT MEAN IT WAS ALSO FAKE?) (Edit: Not if this encouraging article is telling the truth.)
I don't even...know...how it is possible for Chase to be that perfect anymore. Chase isn't supposed to be a perfect guy! He's supposed to be an average guy I can occasionally ogle as eye candy. Giving him a swoon-worthy romantic side under all of that is too much. But in a good way. "You don't have doubts. You just don't want to kill the only thing left of someone you loved." Followed by hugs! Teary-Cameron hugs! BEST SCENE EVER.
And while the image of them on their 10th anniversary, with three kids and being "disgustingly happy" is ludicrously unrealistic, as far as I'm concerned, it somehow brings a smile to my face anyway?
* Opening scene - "Well hi there, shirtless Hugh Laurie."
* Carl Reiner FTW. Patient was hilarious. Until they unexpectedly gave him a giant tumor, and then it stopped being funny and was just depressing. So let's pretend that was 100% hallucination. I still can't figure out where I'm supposed to draw the borders of reality in this episode.
* CREEPY AMBER making her triumphant return in hallucination form - bringing Unexpected Kutner with her. Okay, that's officially the best scene he's ever had!
* I loved the patient of the week; why aren't all cases this interesting? And, I kind of hope there are a sudden influx of police reports involving domestic violence with guys claiming "IT WASN'T ME, IT WAS MY EVIL HAND!"
* That moment where Thirteen asked if we were all two people, and if so "what does that say about our identity?" caused me to burst into spontaneous twitching as I was mentally catapulted back into my hideous Capstone class. This is exactly the kind of thing we'd have been forced to have a 20-minute discussion on.
* Further flashbacks to House/Cuddy sex were unnecessary, and DO NOT WANT. Ick. Do you know how much bleach I'll need to scrub that out of my brain? And they weren't even on the bed or very undressed yet. That is how ugly their kissing and clothes-tearing is.
* Cameron's dress was quite beautiful, yes?
* (insert 205,222 more things I loved, as episode goes into my Top 20 Or So Favorites vault)
* Unrelated to the actual show, but...okay, Liberty Mutual needs to do more commercials with Hem's music and fewer about how they think people "want to do the right thing," because my reaction to all those is pretty much "WOW, I HOPE THE COMPANY ISN'T AS TERRIBLE AS THE PEOPLE IN ITS ADS. I SHOULD AVOID THEM JUST IN CASE."
* See you next fall, show! I'm ready for a break right now, but I'll be looking forward to it.
4. And finally I have a TV meme that I stole from somewhere...someone...afteriwake , I think.
Pick 5 TV shows you love (in no particular order) and answer the questions.
Rather than favorites, which I've talked to death, I chose to pick five pretty-good shows that don't get enough love from me in TV memes.
3. Grey's Anatomy
4. How I Met Your Mother
5. The O.C.
1. Who's your favourite character in 2? (Bones)
2. Who's your least favourite character in 1? (Numb3rs)
I was going to say Nikki, and then I thought about it, reconsidered her pretty hair and recent propensity for being funny, and decided I'm back to being really, really bored by Alan 90% of the time.
3. What's your favourite episode of 4? (HIMYM)
Slap Bet, which isn't even a contest since it's also, like, one of the top 50 episodes of television ever produced in the history of TV.
4. What's your favourite season of 5? (The O.C.)
3 by a landslide. A landslide, I tell you. Although it's hard to say for sure. I've blocked out a large portion of it immediately post-Johnny's-death, and am mentally willing the Tiki Hut Sex on the Beach out of existence.
5. Who are your favourite ship in 3? (Grey's Anatomy)
I...don't hate me, Past Self!! I think it might possibly be Owen/Cristina. (BUT I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU, BURKE.)
Or Derek/Addison. Yeah. That answer makes me hate myself a little less.
6. Who are your anti-ship in 2? (Bones)
Hodgins/Angela have become the anti-
7. How long have you watched 1? (Numb3rs)
8. How did you become interested in 3? (GA)
They had an excellent promo team before the show began - they actually tricked me into believing it would be a medical drama good enough to substitute for ER!
9. Who's your favourite actor/actress in 4? (HIMYM)
Neil Patrick Harris. Did that even need stating? I think he wins by default no matter what.
10. Which do you prefer: series 1 of 2, or series 1 of 5? (Numb3rs or O.C.)
Hah, I can barely even remember s.1 of Numb3rs...but it didn't have Megan, so I think O.C. wins by default. Ryan was really adorable way back when, with his fluffy hair and adorable insecurity. And I'd probably loathe Teresa much less now that I'm all charmed and enchanted by Navi Rawat on the other show.
11. Which show have you seen more episodes of, 1 or 3? (Numb3rs or GA)
Probably Numb3rs; I was a haphazard viewer the first year but I never stalked away from it for periods of time like I did for Grey's. There are still great chunks of season 2 I haven't seen.
12. If you could be anyone from 4, who would you be? (HIMYM)
Lily, I suppose. She's got a nice marriage set up there. And is a kindergarten teacher, which probably wouldn't be so bad if I were just thrown into it.
13. How would you kill off your favourite character in 1? (Numb3rs)
Amita in tonight's finale. I have already plotted several outcomes in my head.
14. Give a random quote from 4? (HIMYM)
"Whenever I start feeling sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead." - Barney
15. Which character in #2 do you love to hate/dislike? (Bones)
I don't "love" to hate anybody on this show...I just hate. Examples include Fisher, Mr. Nigel-Murray, Sweets, and Angela for the foreseeable future (albeit to a slightly lesser degree).
16. Would a 3 /4 crossover work? (Grey's/HIMYM)
Certainly. We'd just need to have someone from the gang visiting Seattle; I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to come up with a reason. All they'd have to do is get in a car accident, and voila; surgery here we come.
17. Pair 2 characters in 1 who would make an unlikely but strangely OK couple. (Numb3rs)
Show already did that with Megan and Larry. But if I have to come up with a new one, Liz/Colby.
18. Has 5 inspired you in any way? (The O.C.)
It inspired three fics, which I frankly think are some of the best in my collection. It also inspired me to write the phrase "arms askance and limbs akimbo" in novelizing one scene where crutch-dependent Johnny falls - I meant it in jest, but then I recycled it into a poem later that year, which was well-received by my Great Poets classmates.
19. Overall, which show has a better cast, 2 or 4? (Bones or HIMYM)
HIMYM. I love Bones' dynamic, but not every member equally, whereas with the latter...there really are no weak spots. I mock Ted and Robin, and hardly registered Lily's recent absence, but honestly this is most cohesive cast I've seen in a long time.
20. Which has better theme music, 3 or 5? (Grey's or O.C.)
:-/ Hard choice. "Cosy in the Rocket" and "California"...I'll go with the latter, since it fit better with the show's theme, had better video, and wasn't randomly ditched partway through the series.