"Just to take the edge of suspense off," I promised myself. I would only watch part one of the finale, and save the last hour for the live viewing with my mom. I banked on the hope that by stopping there, the killer's accomplice wouldn't be revealed yet and I wouldn't have to wrestle with whether or not to tell my mom I knew (and have her badger me for answers early), or somehow stuff down my emotions and do my usual routine of knowing nothing, enjoying her unspoiled reactions as I watched a second time.
True to my word, I did stop there, but it was too late.
An Inconvenient Truth
It's Henry. GOD, IT'S HENRY. It's Henry who's been running around aiding the knife-happy psycho, probably Henry who knifed his (not-related-by-blood) brother after all - woe that the mysterious scratches were not innocent in nature! - and of course it's because Henry is Wakefield's illegitimate son.
Which means that he and Abby are half-siblings after all, and my shippy radar fell victim to the pheromone phenomenon I am always yelling at shows for so the ship is ruined, and ALL IN ALL I am really pissed that the horror-movie junkies, with their superior knowledge of all possible plot twists based on familiar tropes, who've been whispering these things in my ear all along, were fucking right. About everything. It's like TPTB tried to fulfill everything on which I had "DO NOT WANT" signs plastered all over.
And now, of course, I'm feeling like I don't even care about the rest of the conclusion, wrap-up, etc. Blah. Whatever. I had more hope & interest even after Cal and Chloe died than I do now. SHOWS. You have got to stop hitting such a tragic swell in your penultimate episode that it ruins the interest factor of whatever comes next. I realize that these two hours are supposed to air consecutively where there is not time for people like me to pause and get crabby/disinterested, but still. It's your fault.
Some other thoughts about Henry The Murderer:
* Actually, a friend accidentally kind of spoiled me for this fact - she spoiled herself on the 2nd killer early, and added she was "not pleased," which given our conversations & the internet's theories I instantly took to mean it not only wasn't Jimmy, there was a 99% chance it was Henry - and yet I spent the whole hour willing it to be untrue, and even freaked out for his safety immediately post-sofa-cuddling.
It couldn't be him! Nooo, look at all the adorable hugging and kissing he's had with Trish this episode alone! And I flatly put my foot down after said sofa cuddling, as my shippy radar got so overworked it blew up, due to their bafflingly sudden ability to beat out even Cal & Chloe for the sweetest and most satisfying romantic moment on the series to date. I wanted very badly to screencap about 10 different scenes but the copy I was watching was terrible.
* These desperate hopes were undermined at every turn, such as when Henry kept the cell keys, the way he kept wandering off alone, or more noticeably the way he didn't blame Jimmy outright but slowly, thoughtfully came around on the idea (with pro-offered evidence) after other people began to raise suspicions, and then let his Trish-worry do the rest.
* Seriously, though. Besides all the horrible things I mentioned above, the worst part is that even at my lowest points, I was clinging to a hope that even if he was the killer, perhaps at least his feelings for Trish were real and true and he'd spare her despite everything else. Then he sank a blade into her side, and that kinda took care of that. >:(
Rewind! Some leftover thoughts.
* Wakefield lost a lot of his supernaturally creepy power once we finally heard him speak. He sounds like a hick. Should have left him as the menacingly staring, knife-waving/stabbing stalker.
* I feel a little cheated that we didn't see Sully's immediate reaction to learning Cal & Chloe were dead. It was like all of a sudden, they just knew everything. I know his temper flared over it later in a way that led to him almost killing Jimmy (by the way, how much did that scene suck? Doctor Who made a whole episode out of scary mob mentality like this), but...
* Danny's death was horrible. In a way where I knew he was going to die because someone there eventually had to and it wasn't gonna be the girls, but as soon as they showed a sharp pointy thing aimed at his face, I gasped and squeezed my eyes shut, whimpering into a teddy bear. Gross. I do not do sharp pointy things near eyeballs, and I wasn't gonna risk something horrifically gruesome. Cal was my limit.
* I am so proud of Sully for becoming a Big Damn Hero and being the first to not only make Wakefield bleed, but the one whose brilliant plan led to his capture. YOU GO, DUDE. In a related note, I almost want him to die now, just because it's unspeakably depressing to imagine having to live with the memory that one of your best friends (basically) killed your other three best friends. Poor guy. I don't think even Harry Potter wound up with a deal that raw.
* Think I forgot to mention how adorable Henry was with his arm around Trish in the boathouse, stroking her hair. And this on the heels of that adorable "You saved us" and more hugging and a kiss and, geeze, there was so much romance in this episode that I can't even keep it all straight in my head.
* Actual words when Henry grabbed Trish and yanked her back up to her feet, and her demise became imminent: "Oh my God. Oh my God, this is terrible! I hate you!" Really eloquent and outraged, I know. I think Torchwood ruined my ability to do more than stare numbly in disbelief as horrible and much-feared realities came to pass.
* Sorry, I have to go weep in a corner now at the horribly chilling way Henry flipped from Sweetest And Most Protective/Wonderful Groom Ever to a cold-blooded and chillingly calm, almost cajoling killer. *cries and scrolls through all of her past screenshots* I don't care what they say, I'm in love with Past You! ...cannot lie, am really tempted to make a horrific "Bleeding Love" pun here, but out of respect I will refrain.
* Funny, I thought I'd be more relieved when Trish died. Oh wait, that's because my ultimate master plan was that with her out of the way, Henry/Abby would be free to happen. THWARTED ON MULTIPLE LEVELS, THAT.
* Shoot, still over 2 hours until the live airing starts. My willpower is not going to last that long, is it?