My memory feels super sieve-like this year, so I literally went back through all 50+ entries under my 2014 "tv commentary" tag to compile these lists. The spirit of these lists is such that I probably shouldn't include anything I didn't remember on my own, but TOO BAD. Also, just fyi, I am super bad at sticking to single answers, so this is almost more of an encyclopedic review of my entire year in fandom.
I also changed up the order to make it slightly more suspenseful, like I am choreographing the Grammys or something.
Favorite Fandom of 2014: This is probably the last year I can say Glee/Klaine, so I will, because even though I tried to hold it at arm's length, I was still kind of a participant and it still has by far the best group of people around.
Best New Fandom of 2014: I really enjoyed my month or two in the Under the Dome fandom. Everyone's all for the show's OTP, and everyone who bothers investing time in fandom seems happy with it, as opposed to the crankypants internet of viewers at large.
Favorite Friendship of 2014: Rebecca and Tedward (Bad Judge) are THE WACKIEST.
Favorite Villain of 2014: Captain Neville on Revolution. I am also really loving the creep factor of Stalker Perry. (guess which show!)
Favorite Femslash Couple of 2014: None. I've veered away from the dark side of non-canon shipping, and canon lesbian relationships continue to bore me across the board.
Favorite Slash Couple of 2014: Kurt/Blaine always and forever. (Although IDK, in the spirit of true slash, Revolution's Miles/Bass kinda started knocking on the door at the end there, as a 1-sided and extremely non-physical temptation)
Best Musical Moment of 2014:
Glee version: Pompeii -- the closing number of the season, and wonderful in every way. Of course, I only have like 2 episodes to compare here.
Non-Glee version: The Ass Crack Bandit song on Community
Saddest Character Death of 2014: [Under the Dome spoiler, if you care about that?]Angie McAlister, Under the Dome. (plus like 5 more women on that show, but hers was the special worst since one of my other favorite characters killed her with a shovel)
Ten Favorite Male Characters in 2014:
1. Blaine Anderson (Glee)
2. Jim Halpert (The Office)
3. Sam Evans (Glee)
4. Ryder Lynn (Glee)
5. Kurt Hummel (Glee) [note: may not actually take 2014 canon into account]
6. Ichabod Crane (Sleepy Hollow)
7. Tedward (does he even have a last name; who knows, who cares) (Bad Judge)
8. Dale "Barbie" Barbara (Under the Dome)
9. Zach Cropper (The Crazy Ones) (did not know he had a last name 'til just now)
10. Gabriel Vaughn (Intelligence)
Ten Favorite Female Characters in 2014:
1. Pam Halpert (The Office)
2. Julia Shumway (Under the Dome)
3. Max Black (2 Broke Girls)
4. Mindy Lahiri (The Mindy Project)
5. Rachel Berry (Glee) -- after a 1-year absence, she's back!
6. Tina Cohen-Chang (Glee)
7. Ellie Bishop (NCIS) -- TOLD YOU SHE'D BE HERE
8. Rachel Matheson (Revolution)
9. Beth Davis (Stalker)
10. Rebecca Wright (Bad Judge)
Ten Favorite Ships in 2014:
1. Kurt/Blaine (Glee)
2. Jim/Pam (The Office)
3. Beckett/Castle (Castle. WE'RE BACK, BABY!)
4. Barbie/Julia (Under the Dome)
5. Ichabod/Katrina (Sleepy Hollow)
6. Miles/Rachel (Revolution)
7. Ted/Tracy (HIMYM)
8. Jimmy/Sabrina (Raising Hope)
9. Sheldon/Amy (Big Bang Theory)
10. Real-life couple Josh/Reed (introduced to me via Survivor). OF COURSE THEY COUNT.
So...the whole "top ten shippy scenes" thing was just not happening for me, so I decided to just list everything that made me let out a cry of pain when I tried to delete it. I tried to go in order starting with the most exciting, although at times I fudged a bit to clump scenes from the same show together. Also, just to be clear, 18+ refers to the number of moments, not the level of maturity required to view them.
(Spoiler Warning For Various 2014 Episodes of: Glee, Under the Dome, How I Met Your Mother, The Mindy Project, and Castle. It's not that my shipping options were technically low so much as that these shows alone had SO MANY ROMANTIC THINGS OMG.)
1. Glee: Blaine breaking down in tears on Kurt's shoulder, confessing to feeling lost/like a failure in the big city and scared that one day Kurt will wake up and realize he doesn't love him anymore.
2. Under the Dome: Barbie riskily waiting for Julia to slip into hypothermia in order to save her life, holding her hand while promising a future life together with kids and anything she wants.
3. And also the part where he's desperately breathing life back into her at the diner ("I came back for you, come back for me now!"), followed by huddling for warmth + forehead kissing.
4. Sleepy Hollow: The Ichabod/Katrina kiss when he (almost) rescues her, and pours every ounce of frustration and loneliness and love into that super-long kiss before he tears himself away and leaves her with the Horseman again.
5. Glee: Blaine curling up all sad and puppyish in Unconscious Kurt's hospital bed and clinging to him
6. Sleepy Hollow: are you SURE I can't pick "literally every scene both Cranes were in for 2x07"? FINE. Then I was most thrilled by the very last one, where he begs her to live in between CPR breaths, succeeds in resuscitating her, and subsequently nearly dies of relief himself, as demonstrated by pretty kissing and clinging hugging.
7. Under the Dome: The desperate "I thought you were dead" reunion kiss in the premiere.
8. And the desperate reunion hug/kiss later on.
9. And also the snuggliness of this moment:
OKAY, FINE, I'LL STOP WITH THEM.
10. Glee's finale: "I choose to trust and to love you through everything," and Blaine's grateful "thank you" babbling while clinging around Kurt's neck.
(a.k.a. the scene that makes season 666 literally impossible.)
11. Survivor: The entirety of Reed's Ponderosa video. In five minutes of film I count 4 hugs, 3 kisses, a cuddle, and a dreamy-eyed chin-handing moment on top of a waterfall of mushy comments, which might explain why I've watched it like 15 times. [EDIT: WHAT THE HELL WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S PRIVATE ALREADY NOOOOOOOOO! There are Ponderosa videos left up from SEASONS ago! WHY DID I NOT GET OFF MY ASS AND SAVE IT. I mean, I transcribed it, but there is nothing that compares to seeing the video.]
12. Castle: Dt. Ryan hurling himself into the ambulance to kiss his post-partum wife after narrowly escaping certain, fiery death. Although at this point I'm not sure if I'm shipping the characters or the idea of the married-IRL actors going super Method.
13. Castle: the very last scene in "The Belly of the Beast" with the gentle kiss on the top of Kate's head after The Worst Day Ever and suggestion that they go to bed.
14. Castle's series of flirty apology kisses to make up for not rescuing Kate from her dinner with friend because he was busy being undercover, getting macked on by another woman. (OKAY, OKAY, I'M STOPPING WITH THEM TOO.)
15. Danny & Mindy kissing on the ground in the finale, which continues to be a thrilling mixture of romantic and quietly hot.
16. HIMYM: Ted almost losing it at Farhampton Inn when Tracy unthinkingly references mothers not being there for their daughters' weddings. I'm sure they had much more romantic moments, but his crushed face in that moment and the way she responds is the one that sticks with me.
17. HIMYM: Marshall and Lily's epic fight in "Unpause" was intensely thrilling to me. Even more than their reunion when he found out why she ran out of the house. I loved him asking if their marriage/family was some consolation prize, him pulling out "You broke up with me and moved to San Francisco," and her heart shattering on the spot. HER FACE.
18. HIMYM: Tracy asking her dead boyfriend for a sign she's making the right decision still makes me bawl. It counts as shippiness because I was totally shipping Tracy/Dead Soulmate in that moment, and if she had vanished into an etherworld right there where they could talk, I would not have objected.
I am really sad that none of the HIMYM moments were Barney/Robin, by the way. I really considered the pre-wedding vows in the Should Have Been Finale, but the ones I chose got a bigger emotional reaction out of me.
(I'M SORRY. I REALLY TRIED TO CULL IT MORE, BUT I JUST COULDN'T DO IT. The amount of willpower it took to eliminate "How Your Mother Met Me" alone was ruinous. Also, I love how every year I add more and more to this list. Once upon a time, I actually listed just one or two! (I actually regret those days) Also these are not in perfect order, because if they were, it would probably be a showdown between Black Ice and Geothermal Escapism FTW, and the Survivor episode would come in third. Or Deliverance might get in on the Top 3 action, come to think of it.)
1. How I Met Your Mother, Slappointment in Slapmarra
2. How I Met Your Mother, Unpause
3. Under the Dome, Black Ice
4. Community, Basic Intergluteal Numismatics
5. Community, Geothermal Escapism
6. Sleepy Hollow, The Weeping Lady
7. Sleepy Hollow, Deliverance
8. Survivor, Kind Of Like Cream Cheese [29x11]
9. Revolution, #*$& Happens
10. Glee, The Untitled Rachel Berry Project*
11. The Mindy Project, Danny Castellano is My Personal Trainer
12. Castle, Under Fire
13. Castle, The Belly of the Beast
*I reserve the right to change this representative in the future after I watch season 5
The rest of these are (mostly) singletons and, I think, way more boring, but I'm putting them here anyway.
Most Surprising Moment of 2014: Either the people Under the Dome whacked in the premiere, or the discovery of finding a way out of the Dome. OR: Glee ending Lima in episode 100 and trying to take a run at the big leagues by going full time New York. My soul is forever crushed that this experiment killed the ratings and led us to the horrible last-ditch effort to go back that is Satan's Season.
Biggest Squee Moment of the Year: I think it was probably the time I found out Glee was going to put Kurt at the center of a gay bashing after Blaine joined him in the city, and my excitement SCREECHED TO THE RAFTERS imagining all the possible delicious ways for them to go with that.
They did not live up to my Crime Drama expectations, so my #2 was probably...either the entirety of Ichabod and Katrina's scenes in 2x07, with its endless handholding and panic and mortal peril and everything else I want out of an OTP, or Barbie's rescue of Julia in Black Ice, because I played those scenes roughly 9 million times too.
Biggest Fandom Disappointment of the Year: Besides the horrible, horrible descriptions of Glee's horrible last season? I'll save that for next year. In this case, EVERYTHING IN THE HIMYM FINALE. Like, the whole world minus crackers4jenn agrees on that. A distant runner-up is The Middle losing their dog.
P.S. I would just like to point out that ACQUIRING the dog made last year's "biggest squee moment."
Fandom That You Never Expected To Get Into: I'm fangirling over a pair of celebrities who aren't on scripted TV shows, and while still trying to figure out how to describe that as a fandom, I definitely never expected that.
Fandom That Made An Unexpected Comeback: Sleepy Hollow, Under the Dome, Revolution/Raising Hope at the very end, and mainly SURVIVOR
Fandom That Inspired The Most Crack: Still Sleepy Hollow. That show/fandom is wiggity wiggity wiggity wack.